Friday, December 11, 2009

Animation: A Labor of Love

Animation has always been a big part of my life. I used to sit in front of the TV at a young age and watch anything that was animated, even episodes of My Little Pony. I just loved cartoons at a young age. When my mother couldnt get us toys she would give me a stack of paper and pencils. Being a teacher, my mother had more than enough of both. My grandmothers house was just another place that fueled my head with ideas. Now that I am working as an animator, I think back to all those days. The moments of trying stuff, mimicking other artists, and just being curious. Animation is hard work and it is work that I love. I try so hard to be better, more creative, strong mentally, innovative, and so many other things to be good as I can be. Staying humble and remembering the struggle is what keeps me going day after day. I remember eating crap and staying up until the sun showed up for a new day and how that was a regular way of living. For me, animation is hard. I try so hard to get the ideas and character out of my mind and on to the screen, I am literally drained by the end of the day. I try hard because I want my mother and brother to be proud of me. I want my grandmothers to smile down on me and be happy their grandson is still trying. Trying to be someone they can be proud of.

JB